Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What is peace?

"Peace I leave with you; My [own] peace I now give and bequeath to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled." John 14:27 AMP
Great definition in the Amplified of what peace is not: agitation, disturbed, fearful, intimidated, cowardly and unsettled. So peace is: calm, composed, unafraid, empowered, courageous and steady. Which way do you feel today?
Me, I feel at peace today - now.  I went for a bike ride today.  My legs and heart were fine, but my lungs were burning.  The heat, humidity, allergens and spraying of chemicals combined to do a number on my lungs.  I had to stop at a friends house to rest, recover and re-coop.  So, my 30-45 minute ride was 20 minutes today.  She prayed for me - to breathe in the breath of God.  She prayed calm for me.  Now I am at peace.
I read Psalms 2, 32, 62, 92, and 122 today.  [Ask another friend of mine - why?]  I sang Lord Most High [Bob Fitts] and You Are Holy [Michael W. Smith].  And the word I got - PEACE.  Which is what led me to the verse above and to this post.  The Amplified is great at giving you more depth to the words used.  In this case, it gives all the feelings that are NOT peace.  I looked up the antonyms of those words to get my list of what peace IS: 
  • calm
  • composed
  • unafraid
  • empowered
  • courageous
  • steady
    Funny, that is the way I feel right now!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment